Friday 4 April 2014

This week: Playground and Garden

 Sebastian putting his hands in his pockets and looking so grown up

 We did an excursion (a.k.a. field trip) with Playcentre this week. We went to Central Park in Brooklyn (a suburb of Wellington). It's a nice playground, and far enough away that we had not explored it yet.




  He liked the playground's fire engine, of course. Here he is operating both wheels at once, and probably saying "vrooooo!"

 watering the new garden bed - and wearing Mama's gloves

Sebastian helped me plant sugar snap peas this week. On Monday, he collected worms from the compost heap with Granpa's help. This is one of Sebastian's favourite things ever right now - catching worms. While they did that, I dug out an old flower bed - a raised bed near the front door that has been mainly neglected by us. I put in some compost, and Sebastian came along with his worms so I asked him to put them in the new soil. He happily dumped them in, then helped me water the soil.

On Tuesday he helped me put up the trellis. Though there wasn't much he could do, being so short, so he also did some raking of leaves and inspected the large spool of twine I was using for trellis construction.

On Wednesday, I completed the trellis while my parents took Sebastian out to Pataka (the local art museum). When he came back, he helped me sow peas! I poked holes in the ground, gave him the peas, and he planted them in the holes and covered them up with dirt. He did about 3/4 of the row with me this way. Then he wanted to cut open a pea to see what was inside. I finished off getting the peas in the ground, then cut open a pea for him to inspect. I am a new but enthusiastic gardener, and I love that Sebastian is old enough that I can start to share this with him.

Sowing peas

No comments: